[NBLUG/talk] LINDOWS?

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Mon May 5 10:58:00 PDT 2003

"Lindows" is a play on Windows... it is basically a name.  Lindows is based on
the Linux kernel (The kernel is Linux, Linux is the kernel), Lindows is based
on the Debian 'Distribution' of Linux.  Basically Lindows tries to make Linux
a bit easier for the average user.  You purchase a service that makes it
really easy to install selected software from the Lindows servers.  The rub
comes in..... the selected software is free to download from the web anyway.
You basically pay for convenience.... and a bit of ignorance about how Open
Source works.

At a recent North Bay Linux Users Group Installfest we encountered an
individual who bought a Walmart computer with Lindows installed....  We
upgraded and install as much software as he wanted from the net and set him
up so he could upgrade his 'Lindows' Linux box from the Internet without
using the "Lindows services"....  tweak away...

--
Mark Street, D.C.
Red Hat Certified Engineer