[NBLUG/talk] The Advantages of Linux

Bill Kendrick nbs at sonic.net
Tue May 6 11:52:01 PDT 2003

On Tue, May 06, 2003 at 09:38:09AM -0700, augie wrote:

> i'll agree with what mike and frank have already said, and add this:
> if you are an aspiring programmer like me, then being able to view the
> source is an invaluable resource to your learning.

What I enjoyed on Linux (and on Unix before that) was the fact that the
compilers and stuff are 'just there.'  No need to pay $100s of dollars for
the privelege of being able to develop software.

I was coming from the 8-bit Atari world, where I had BASIC built-in, so
when I sat down and played with Windows and Macs, I felt pretty constrained.
I could only do as much as others had done for me (and provided freely).

<snip>
> *community*: if you've been watching this list for any brief amount of
> time, you will have noticed the wide variety of discussions, and the
> multitude of people who get helped every day.

Indeed.  LUGOD, out here in Davis, is pretty active in the community, too.
So far this year, we've participated in, or will be participating in:

  * PC SuperShow expo
  * UC Davis Picnic Day
  * Writers in the Workplace conference
  * Whole Earth Festival
  * Government Technology Conference
  * LinuxWorld Expo
  * Picnix

We (I, mostly) recently put together a Linux-based public access terminal
(kiosk) to replace a Windows-one that's running at a local small business.
(Donated and maintained by another local non-profit: Davis Community Network)

> also if you come to any NBLUG event, you'll see geeks geeking out with
> other geeks, newbies asking questions and getting a face-to-face
> response from one or many people.

I've only been to a very few NBLUG meetings, but they have been great.

I also encourage folks to go visit the other LUGs in the area.
This is why I personally keep track of all upcoming LUG events over on
LUGOD's website.

Lots of folks out here in the Davis/Sacramento area enjoy going down to
SVLUG (San Jose) and BALUG (San Fran.), and over to NBLUG, when there's
an interesting topic (and no time conflicts).

See:
  http://www.lugod.org/calendar/

> i know i find it extremely
> advantageous to be able to run a web server (apache), a database system,
> (mysql,postgresql), and scripting tools (php,pearl), all on my little
> laptop

Or in your pocket (Sharp Zaurus can run Apache, PHP, Perl and MySQL, to
name a few :^) )

<snip>
> please try to make it to the next meeting, you won't regret it. :)

And if you feel like coming out to Davis tonight, please do!

IBM Corp. will be here to talk about "IBM & Linux: The Big Blue Penguin"
;^)

-bill!
root at lugod.org
http://www.lugod.org/