[NBLUG/talk] Java v. C++ in Linux

William L. Thomson Jr. support at obsidian-studios.com
Tue May 6 21:01:00 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 23:55, Chad Krsek wrote:

> Threads may be easier in Java, but as they run within
> a single user process, I think they lose most of their
> benefit.

What do you mean by this. Threads for Java work the same as threads for
C++.

You have your main program/process that controls many other sub-process.

If you have a multi-thread C or C++ app running like Apache, Bind or
etc. you will have many threads or process #'s.

Just the same as if you have say Tomcat running, you will also have the
same thing, multiple threads and processes.

I was speaking more of Java synchronization ability. You can declare a
function to be synchronized and when using it in a multi-thread app the
JVM will make sure things happen in order.

Not to mention creation and control of threads are a little easier.

Now do all threads run under a single virtual machine. Yes. But that
virtual machine will allow you to create and manage threads.

Just as you would in C, C++ or any other language with threading
capabilities.

--
Sincerely,
William L. Thomson Jr.