[NBLUG/talk] Java v. C++ in Linux

Chad Krsek ckrsek at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 21:15:01 PDT 2003

--- "William L. Thomson Jr."
<support at obsidian-studios.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-05-06 at 23:55, Chad Krsek wrote:
> >
> > Threads may be easier in Java, but as they run
> within
> > a single user process, I think they lose most of
> their
> > benefit.
>
> What do you mean by this. Threads for Java work the
> same as threads for
> C++.

That is not necesarily true.  Depending on the thread
library you use, a c++ can made to run at the kernel
level.  Therefore it will be scheduled like any other
process (i.e. the term lightweight process). This is
the main benefit of multi-threading, in my opinion.

There is no specification as to how Java threads are
to be implemented.  They may map 1 to 1 to a kernel
level thread, or they may be confined to a single user
process. If that is the case, that means n threads
simply split the time allocated to the one user
process.

I wasn't clear about the variablity of Java threads,
as dependent on the OS, but I think this unknown makes
the C++ option better.