[NBLUG/talk] Dualview

ME dugan at passwall.com
Tue May 6 22:45:01 PDT 2003

I am using an Nvidia GeForce 4 440 with my laptop. The Video card support
3-way video (LCD (built-in), SVGA (out back), and a choice of composite,
RCA-Video-Out, and S-Video out)

To get great support for all three, I installed Nvidia's proprietary video
driver (kernel modules and GLX stuff) and in doing this, I get extra
options to include in my XFree86-4.conf file to control how video display
should work. For example, I can specify "mirroring" or multiple deskto
spaces to permit mapping multiple video displays to each have separate but
shared desktops. useful for playing a DVD out video, and using my dektop
on my LCD.)

However, to get this kind of support, I had to go to my vendor and get
extra drivers and a kernel module. Also, I need to rebuild this module
every time I rebuild my kernel. This coupled with custome pcmcia-cs and
vmware, means I rebuild 4 projects every time I move to a new kernel.

If you cannot get support from the vendor of your video card, then you
will need to consult the XFree86 docs specific to your card to see what
extra options are supported. (Some cards have extra options available to
them in X, but if X does not support it, and you have no support fro m
your vendor, there is little left but build your own.