[NBLUG/talk] Advice for prospective Linux lap-topper?

Steve srj at adnd.com
Thu May 8 15:44:00 PDT 2003

I have a Gateway laptop (SOLO 5300 PIII 600Mhz) and it installed and ran
linux flawlessly.

Well with the exception of the winmodem, but I think most laptops have
issues with the winmodem and linux =) I hear its not to hard to get it
working, but I didn't care.. its been 3 years since I've had
to use a modem =)

-Steve

On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 03:29:29PM -0700, Kyle Rankin wrote:
> On Thu, May 08, 2003 at 03:02:26PM -0700, Jeffrey Miller wrote:
> > Dear NBLUGers (especially Linux laptop users),
> >
> > I'm headed to a programmers' conference in late June and I thought it might
> > be time to get a laptop so I can "play along".  Of course, if this one is
> > going to be my own, I would like to be able to run Linux on it, as well as
> > Windows (for work-related purposes and some games, and a few random USB
> > devices like a digital camera).
> >
> [snip]
> > Does anyone have any general thoughts, suggestions, or pointers for where I
> > should be looking?
>
> If you are willing to do the install yourself, I could check
> http://linux-laptop.net and see what laptops people have been successful
> with.
>
> Depending on what kind of laptop you need, I've been very happy with my
> Fujitsu P series computer, and on my website I even go over how to set up
> Linux on it.
>
> Alternatively, I've found that IBM laptops seem to support Linux very well,
> Toshibas are probably second on that list and that Dells seem to work okay
> too.
>
> --
> Kyle Rankin (greenfly)
> http://greenfly.org

----
      "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."
                                                   -- Lao-Tzu