[NBLUG/talk] apt-get question

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at itec-co.com
Sun May 11 12:00:06 PDT 2003

Actually, go into the /etc/apt/sources.list file and manually
change the "unstable" or "testing" to "woody" would be appropriate
here.  I have noticed this with Knoppix base installs as well,
which I personally rather have woody or stable.

> APT::Default-Release "testing";
>
> to "stable"
>
> Can it possibly be that easy?
>
> Then I just run dselect?  How is apt-upgrade different from the "Update"
> feature in dselect?

"update" vs. "upgrade"
Update just performs a table update of the available packages
for the distribution type (i.e., stable, testing, or unstable).
Upgrade will actually upgrade the packages to the current versions
as a whole (e.g., v 1.0 (old) to 1.0.xxx (new)) within the confines
of that distribution type.

apt-get is a "higher level" version of dpkg and dselect, though
more user friendly (IMHO) than dselect.

HTH.

--- Crawford