[NBLUG/talk] any recommended 802.11g cards?

Kyle Rankin greenfly at greenfly.net
Wed May 14 16:48:00 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 04:34:23PM -0700, Daniel Smith wrote:

> My Toshiba 3110 has a shiny new Linksys WPC54G - works
> fine under windows...  as I understand it, it has
> a Broadcom chipset - no Linux driver out there yet.
>
> Any 802.11g cards out there (yet) in common use for
> Linux Laptops?

To my knowledge there is not yet any module support for any 802.11g card
under Linux, as many people are waiting for the spec to actually be
finalized first.  I've heard reports that g cards from one manufacturer
won't work with APs from another manufacturer, etc. because of their
developing the cards for an as-of-yet unfinalized spec.

The WPC54G uses the Broadcom chipset, and, at least according to:

http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/Linux/Linux.Wireless.drivers.html
   "35 Not supported (the hall of shame)
    Cards based on the Broadcom chipset (802.11b or 802.11g) are not
    supported, and Broadcom seems to not respond to inquiries about Linux,
    despite listing Linux in their product documentation."

Perhaps the situation will improve, however, when the 802.11g standard is
actually finalized, which from what I've heard, will be sometime this
summer.

--
Kyle Rankin (greenfly)
http://greenfly.org