[NBLUG/talk] OpenOffice v. StarOffice

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Wed May 14 19:37:00 PDT 2003

On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 07:33:46PM -0700, Edward Mendoza wrote:
> For business applications in the Linux environment, which do you prefer?
> Which is better? I have used neither: OpenOffice or StarOffice?

They're hard to tell apart because they're, literally, almost identical.

It's a lot like comparing Mozilla to Netscape.  OpenOffice is where the
"newest" version will be, so it will often have some features that
StarOffice doesn't have.  StarOffice is more stable and has a few
proprietary features and addons that OpenOffice doesn't have.  Only one I
remember being interesting sounding was some database stuff, but I'm not a
major user of any of what OpenOffice does.  (I generally use LaTeX for any
kind of large, interesting document.)
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Vice-President Pro Tempore