[NBLUG/talk] Use of Linux w/o an Office Suite?

ME dugan at passwall.com
Thu May 15 22:20:05 PDT 2003

Oh, I worked in the library for about 6 years, but left there to go back
to school. I am now working in IT at SSU

I will remember many of my co-workers in the library fondly, but am very
happy to working on more complex tasks in IT that better challenge my
skillset.

Of course, I also get to work with such skilled people as  Andru (member
of NBLUG) and Dustin (Co-founder of NBLUG) and several others who are also
skilled and technically motivated (soon-to-be-converted-to-become NBLUG
members. ;-)

The campus is finding more uses for Linux. A recent survey (not specific
to SSU) plaed Linux on about 30% of new servers being purchased
(worldwide) and Windows on 42% of the servers worldwide. Also, the Linux
share is still one of the fastest growing in the server market. We are
ahead of the curve. :-)

Check out the CS department. They have Linux on their desktop machines.
Also, the computer lab used by the Master Program on campus for computer
engineering - yep, it is there too!

And since Linux is usually free (no cost) as is much of the software that
comes with Linux, use of it is a good cost savings option for many places
on campus during the budget crisis that has hit the state. Choices to go
with Windows, and the buy the costly software associated with it, locks
people into that well known cycle of being forced to make new payments
per-client. (And with several users in a department with several packages,
this can be thousands, tenns of thousands or hundreds of thousands of
dollars each year!!

Congrats on your upcoming graduation! PoliSci, eh? My favorite professir
of PoliSci (JC or SSU) was Professor Merrifield - nice ability to make
cross-connections to tie events together and project his ideas from these
connections to classes of students.

Glad to have a soon-to-graduate SSU soon-to-be with other Alumni within
NBLUG.