[NBLUG/talk] X through VNC

Andrew argonaut at softhome.net
Mon May 19 11:46:01 PDT 2003

I'm having some problems setting up vncserver. Well, actually,
setting up X to work with vncserver. The machine which will be
running the server is a Debian Woody box with XFree86 3.3.6 and
WindowMaker + Gnome. When I run "startx" from the command line, X
starts up just fine, so my X setup seems to be OK. I've been
running it this way for a year. A few days ago I installed the
vncserver package and, after wrangling with a font problem for a
short while, got the server running. The problem shows up when I
connect to the server with vncviewer. All I get is plain X and
nothing more. Just the standard grey background and the ugly "X"
cursor. Nothing else... not even an Xterm. So with no pretty
icons to click on and no terminal to type into, I'm dead in the
water. Nothing else can happen in that window.

I'm guessing the problem lies in how vncserver processes the X
startup files. I've been looking through whatever files I can
find that seem to control it, but since I'm only vaguely familiar
with how X starts up, I haven't gotten very far. Normally, I'd
tinker with this myself a bit longer before asking on the list,
but I'm leaving town on Wednesday and I'd like to get it running
before then. Can anyone give me a nudge in the right direction?

Thanks.

A.

apt-get moo