[NBLUG/talk] What is arithmetic mod n

Steve Zimmerman stevetux at sonic.net
Tue May 20 19:16:01 PDT 2003

ME wrote:
> What-do-you-mean? They answer questions. All I do is have fun.

Steve replies:

Yeah, but you had me {  `lol'  ->   \ laughing out loud \  }
with the following post:

[Beginning of post]:

Eric Eisenhart:
 (Seriously, the Romans found 0 so scary that they outlawed it)

ME:

> > Yeah, but then the Roman Empire fell because they had no way to indicate
> > successful termination of their C programs.
>
> Wha-do-you-mean? They can try to typecast an int to become a Bool or enum
> a Bool into existance. This way they could specify "true" (1) for
> successful termination of a function, and by being MS about hte issue
> (remember, they *were* the roman empire) they could then state the
> industry standard for  successful termination of a program was "true" (1).
>
> Of course, you might then ask, "how would they specify a problem?" Oh!
> That is simple. They can just throw exceptions. ;-)

[End of post]

Thanks for the kix-in-high-gear.

/* random noise: */
"Nonoque, Suzie.  Ipso interea manipuli ante coeptam."