[NBLUG/talk] Newbie and grub>

Jennifer Tracy tiny_tyrant at hotmail.com
Sat May 24 22:18:00 PDT 2003

I just installed RedHat Linux 9.0 on a dual boot system with Windows XP
Professional.

At the end of the install I had the system reboot and now I an in grub> land
and NOT happy about it.

I managed to get it to boot into Windows with the chainloader, but I cannot
figure out how to get my kernel loaded so that I can boot into linux.

I have tried the following:

grub> kernel /vmlinux-2.4.20-8 (and variations there of)

and I get the following error:

Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
Jenn Tracy
a.k.a Tiny Tyrant