[NBLUG/talk] Newbie and grub>

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Sun May 25 19:18:01 PDT 2003

On Saturday 24 May 2003 22:19, Jennifer Tracy wrote:
> I have tried the following:
> grub> kernel /vmlinux-2.4.20-8 (and variations there of)
> and I get the following error:
> Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS

Improper command, that is the UNcompressed kernel also.

You need to type e at the grub boot screen to edit your boot parameters on the
selected OS.
d to delete a line
o to add a line
b to boot

help .... for help

To exit menu editing type ESC to go back to the main menu.

If grub is not able to find a valid grub.conf file it will default to the
command line.

grub has a very powerful command line interface I won't go into here until we
can find out more about you.

1.  What type of Red Hat Install did you perform?
	Workstartion
	Server
	Custom

2.  What OS did you choose to boot first when you did the install?

3.  Is there more than 1 HDD in the system?

4.  How much space did you set aside for XP?.. if it is a single drive system.

5.  What does your /boot/grub/grub.conf look like?  Send it if you can.

I have 4 Primary partitions on my laptop
1.  Windoze  <------ hda1 below, hd0,0
2.  Linux /boot <------ Note hda2 below, hd0,1
3.  Linux swap
4.  Linux /    <------- Note hda4 below, hd0,3

-----------------------------
grub.conf with notes -  NOTE 0=1 and 1=2.......
----------------------------
default=0     <------ NOTE, this says boot the FIRST OS that is listed below.
timeout=10
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz
title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-9)
        root (hd0,1)  <----First HDD - Second Primary Partition - Kernel here!
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-9 ro root=/dev/hda4 hdc=ide-scsi
        initrd /initrd-2.4.20-9.img

title Windoze
        rootnoverify (hd0,0)  <--------- First HDD - First Primary Partition
        chainloader +1