[NBLUG/talk] RH Linux 9.0 & Windows

ME dugan at passwall.com
Sun May 25 21:46:12 PDT 2003

> Hi,
>
> I am new to you group.

I'll only comment on this part (above)

Welcome to NBLUG! We have many RedHat users on the list, and it is likely
that one of them can give you an idea on how much space would be needed
for a basic install of RedHat 9.0, but I'm not sure how many of our users
hav purchased the Advanced Server Edition of RedHat 9.0. (I'm a Debian
user. I have played with RH, but it is not my favorite distro.)

> I have Windows Server and Advanced Server
> installed on one of my machines and have enough partition space to add RH
> Linux 9.0 on the same HD.  How much space does RH (server version) need
> for binaries, no source or games - I plan to use RHN to load up on what my
> 3 CDs do not have?

Other can better answer the above part...

> As I understand it, Windows is supposed to be
> installed first, then Linux?

Generally speaking, this is the best method for installing Linux. (After
windows is installed.)

> Also, should I use GRUB or LILO in the RH
> install?

I am still stuck in the "old ways" and use LILO. GRUP is newer and has
many benefits over LILO. If you don't know either, and want to learn one,
you might find GRUB as a better boot manager. LILO is highly customizable,
but some of the options are a little arcane.

> What other problems will I need to be aware of?

Know the difference between Hardware RAID and software RAID. (Not
suggesting that you don't.) This will make it easier for you to know if
you want to enable software RAID (from Linux kernel.)

Know your hardware. Get a list of hardware on your machine. It is often
not a requirement, but makes it easier for you to verify that each device
is actually working. RedHat's installer is rather nice and does many
things for you (detection of hardware, etc.) but it is nice to know your
hardware just in case a question comes up.

If you have questions about your install (even ones that *seem* "stupid")
try asking them here anyway. We have a great group of people here. :-)

-ME