[NBLUG/talk] Evolution and Yahoo?

troy fryman at sonic.net
Tue May 27 14:05:01 PDT 2003

Hey, congratulations!

I can can only offer comments on a few of your questions...

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 11:45:28PM -0700, Sebastian wrote:

> Q) XMMS: How would I go about adding "enqueue in XMMS" as a context-menu
> action to all folders and all MP3 files in Gnome (Nautilus)? Is there a
> folder somewhere that has those types of system-wide links in them?

That's a good question.  I don't think I've seen that functionality
anywhere.  You can, however, drag and drop folders or files into your
xmms playlist.

Though I run gnome, I prefer konqueror to Nautilus when I want a GUI
file manager.  It takes a few seconds to start the first time, but
overall I find it far more responsive, configurable and useful than
Nautilus.

> Q) XMMS: Is there a trick to getting XMMS to actually "stay on top", and
> also to _not_ show up in the taskbar panel?

The latter could probably accomplished via your window manager.  I don't
know what Mandrake uses, but I'm using Sawfish w/gnome and it handles
this nicely.  See if you can find a "Include in tasklist" option
somewhere in whatever window manager Mandrake has installed for you.

> C) Gnome picked up all the installed truetype fonts from my Windows boot
> partition automatically. That's way cool. :)

Pretty sure the credit there goes to the Mandrake installer.  That *is*
pretty damn user-friendly!

> Q) Can one install adobe fonts? (PFB/PFM files?)

Yup, in fact there's likely some installed already if you've installed
ghostscript.  if you've got locate, try 'locate type1'  Adding more fonts
is just a matter of sticking them in a directory somewhere and adding
them to your xservers FontPath in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.  Also make sure
that "Load Type1" is in the "Module" section of that file.

IIRC, Augie just installed Mandrake 9.1, he'll probably help out if you
get stuck on the specifics.  Right, Augie ? :)

-troy