[NBLUG/talk] Debian module install

Crawford Rainwater crawford.rainwater at itec-co.com
Thu May 29 21:45:01 PDT 2003

For Knoppix 3.1:
- Boot off the CD.
- At the "boot:" prompt, "knoppix lang=us" (hit F2 for other options like
  for framebuffers on a laptop and such).

Here, by default, Knoppix will have your network card configured, so you
should be able to surf your network after putting in some routing table
information.  You can see what else was loaded up upon boot up as well.

Once KDE loads up...

- Open a command shell.
- $ sudo passwd (change the root password temporarily to something like
  "password")
- $ su - (this will do the TUI in the command shell; without the "-", it
   will do it in the KDE environment; have not seen any issues either way,
   does the same thing basically)
- # knx-hdinstall

And select your options from there for a base installation.

By default, it sort of slams everything into one partition as a warning.
You can manually edit things in /etc/fstab and make other partitions by
copying the files over later, but it is a hassle I do admit.

Also to note, the user "knoppix" (created by default) will have the
KDE settings for German by default.  Change this in the KDE configuration
panel before your user starts to complain. ;-)

Side additions, download a copy of the 2.4.20 kernel and upgrade from
there as needed.

HTH.

--- Crawford