[NBLUG/talk] Red Hat go bye bye

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Wed Nov 5 15:24:06 PST 2003

On Wed, Nov 05, 2003 at 03:15:25PM -0800, Dave Rohling wrote:
> [...]

I installed "severn", which was basically the beta for this release last
Friday on a test machine.  It basically installs just like a standard RH
install, uses the same sorts of packages, has all the redhat-*
configuration tools, etc.

It's really just Redhat without the support -- something most users of
Redhat at home that I know of, use anyway, apart from maybe buying a box
set to support the company, I think a lot of home users just download the
isos and install it and use mailing lists like this one, and friends, for
support anyway.

Really I don't think things will change to much for the home user.  The
interesting implications are for the corporate market who might actually
need support directly from Redhat.

kyle at nblug.org