[NBLUG/talk] Debien newbie question.

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Thu Nov 6 10:27:01 PST 2003

On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 10:22:40AM -0800, Steve wrote:

> I'm trying to install something that requires OpenSSL,
> so I installed OpenSSL, but the program I went to install needs the header
> files for it.  With debian apt-get how can I insall the headers for open
> ssl?
>
> -Steve
>
> --
> ----
>       "Knowing others is wisdom, knowing your self is Enlightenment."
>                                                    -- Lao-Tzu

In Debian all the library packages have "lib" at the beginning of the
package name, so the ssl library package is called "libssl" but the header
files all have "dev" in the package name.  The openssl development package
(for header files and such) is libssl-dev

You can always check what packages are available for a keyword by typing:
apt-cache search <keyword>

For instance, apt-cache search openssl turned up a good deal of packages
that dealt with or used openssl in some way.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President
kyle at nblug.org