[NBLUG/talk] Samba solutions

ME dugan at passwall.com
Tue Nov 18 12:21:00 PST 2003

Bob Blick said:
> Fixed. Two problems:
>
> 1) Username mapping is not unixuser = winuser. It is unixuser =
> winmachine.
>
> I had to change the entry in smbusers to read:
> bob = ASTG300 instead of bob = bob
>
> Documentation contradicts this! I seem to recall being bitten by this one
> before.

Why not submit this to the documentation maintainers so that you will have
this available to yourself it he future, and you can help contribute
tomake something better that you find less than ideal?

> At this point I could use shares if I knew they existed and called them by
> IP address. Still no listing in Explorer or LinNeighborhood though.
>
> 2) Netmask was 255.255.0.0 on the new linux machine, instead of
> 255.255.255.0 like the rest of the network.
>
> This is the first time I've ever had a problem with netmasks breaking
> something in this way.
>
> Fixing that made shares show in Explorer and machine names work.

By using the model you chose instead of WINS, the list of available shares
and machines are passed through subnet broadcast addresses. If you specify
you are on one subnet instead of another (by subnet mask) your subnet
broadcast address will be different from the rest of the machine's subnet
broadcast address.

-ME