[NBLUG/talk] Samba solutions

Chris White Chris.White at corel.com
Tue Nov 18 14:33:01 PST 2003

For what it's worth:

I haven't been following this thread all that closely, but I just wanted to say that I've been using Samba at work and at home, in heterogeneous environments (Linux/Windows/Mac OS X), without any problems.  My smbusers file is set for unixname = winname, just like the doc, and it works fine.  No Samba server is the Domain Controller, however.  That is reserved for a corporate box running Win2K.  My Samba config file defines the password server as my Win2K Domain Controller (real names/IP addresses replaced with {phoney} ones):

security = server
password server = {my_server_name}

No Domain Controller is specified.  My Samba servers are also set up with these settings:

local master = no
os level = 0
domain master = no
preferred master = no
wins support = no
wins server = {insert IP address of Domain Controller, same as my_server_name, above}

Mappings between Windows names and Linux names (which are different) just works.  The doc hasn't been wrong as far as I can tell -- but I haven't used any 9.x clients in years.

BTW, I'm running Red Hat 9.0, samba-client-2.2.7a-8.9.0, samba-2.2.7a-8.9.0, samba-common-2.2.7a-8.9.0.

Regards,

--Chris