[NBLUG/talk] WiFi (802.11b) and linux

ME dugan at passwall.com
Fri Nov 21 11:58:01 PST 2003

Steve said:
> I installed debian on my laptop to find out that my PCMCIA wifi card
> (linksys WPC11 Version4) does not work. =/  So I was wondering what card
> is well supported under linux (debian).  I would like to
> go out a get one this weekend =)

With pcmcia-cs there is a file "SUPPORTED.CARDS" that is included. I would
expect you should have this file somwhere in your /usr/doc directories
under Debian. In this file should be a list of PCMCIA cards supported
under your version of pcmcia-cs.

Being the person I am, I have often chosen to not use the Debian pcmcia-cs
but instead build my own. This is easy for me since I also build my own
kernels. Building the latest pcmcia-cs from source is best done with
source code for the kernel that is currently running on your system. (This
is stated if you choose to go this
route.)http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS

The homepage for the pcmcia-cs project are:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pcmcia-cs/
http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/

And the latest version available from source forge has a list of supported
cards (which may not be the same list of supported cards on your system
due to differen

http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/SUPPORTED.CARDS

Enjoy,
-ME