[NBLUG/talk] WiFi (802.11b) and linux

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Fri Nov 21 12:32:01 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 11:38:12AM -0800, Steve wrote:
> I installed debian on my laptop to find out that my PCMCIA wifi card
> (linksys WPC11 Version4) does not work. =/  So I was wondering what card
> is well supported under linux (debian).  I would like to
> go out a get one this weekend =)
>
> -Steve

Orinocos are always a good choice for good Linux support (but I don't know
that you will find those at any local computer store).  I would parrot what
the others have said and check the current hardware compatibility list for
PCMCIA 802.11b cards, and triple-check the chipset the card says it uses,
some manufacturers *cough*Linksys*cough* have been known to change chipsets
even in the same version of hardware.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President