[NBLUG/talk] WiFi (802.11b) and linux

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Fri Nov 21 19:37:00 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 12:44:51PM -0800, Mark Street wrote:

> I would parrot the parrot as I own the version 3 of the Linksys card which
> is a nice card... then they go and wreck it with realtek chipset in the
> next version.  sheeesh.
>
> As Paul, Kyle and myself know..... Atmel, Realtek and all the cheapo
> chipsets are a pain in the rear to troubleshoot....especially when you are
> out of range of the AP. ; )
>
> Remember... that forever more the installfest room at SSU is NOT the
> most ideal place for installing,configuring and testing wireless cards....
> It took me 2 days to stop shaking after the last installfest.... I had
> weird twitches, crying and uncontrollable laughter.

EGADS, Mark!  That was *my* Atmel card... I'm so sorry.  Thing works like a
charm now, though!  Man you were a good sport.

I'm not sure if I should tell you this, but I just got a new laptop
(IBM G40) and loaded Suse 8.2 on it (those disks Robert gave me at the
installfest, in fact).  I'm currently working on getting the card to
work on Suse (gulp!).  I like Suse well enough so far, but they moved
a few things around (compared to RedHat), but I'm slogging through.

I'm gonna check out that pcmcia-cs thing from sourceforge that ME
mentioned.  I checked the list of supported cards, and wouldn't you
know, my card was listed.

Thanks again, Mark -- I'll try and leave you out of it this time.

-dave.