[NBLUG/talk] Executed "rm -rf *" in the wrong directory!

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 25 10:32:00 PST 2003

Ah, yes.  I seem to vaguely remember a Linux Journal archive that
discussed system security and was written in a silly Frenglish dialect.

Anyway, it looks like it explains how to recover deleted files from an
ext2 (or possibly ext3) filesystem, but not from reiserfs.  I tried
"debugfs" and "recover", and neither recognized my reiserfs filesystem.

Unless I can find some other information about undeleting on reiserfs,
I'll have to either:
1. Find a new hard disk with a capacity of at least 60GB, create a
backup image of the old disk (dd if=/dev/hdc1
of=/path/to/new/disk/backup.img), then try reiserfsck.
2. Ignore my common sense and try reiserfsck *without* backing up the
hard disk.

I could also try a commercial data-recovery solution, but it would
probably be even more expensive than a new hard disk (which it seems I
could use to accomplish the same thing).