[NBLUG/talk] Mounting a new HD

troy fryman at sonic.net
Fri Nov 28 23:08:02 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 28, 2003 at 04:35:30PM -0800, Todd Cary wrote:
> I have Fedora running on my system and there is a primary HD on the
> secondary channel (hdd), however I do not know how to have Linux mount it.

Ahh, that's because you mount a filesystem, not a drive.

In order to mount it, you must first partition it (you can, of course,
make one big partion) then make a filesystem on one or more of the
partitions.  I still use the Linux fdisk program, which, while not a
total piece of crap like DOS fdisk, is certainly terse and cannot be
described as user-friendly.  I think RedHat has a gui filesystem tool
called "disk druid", but that was a while ago.  fdisk works great,
actually, and we can try that out if you can't find another tool.

> In the GUI Hardware Manager, it is listed "hdd", however in the GUI disk
> manager only the CD and Floppy drives are listed.

That makes sense, actually.  The "disk manager" probably deals with
filesystems only.  Can you right-click on hdd in the hardware manager
and do anything with the drive?

> I am not too swift with Linux editors, but I did a "cat /dev/fstab" and
> the "hdd" device is not listed.

Yeah, once you have your disk partioned and formatted, you'll want to
add an entry to /etc/fstab and have the disk mounted at boot or
whatever.  BTW, a couple of simple editors are "joe" and "pico".  Both
show the basic commands at the bottom of the screen.  Fire up vi or vim
and you may never figure out how to exit it ;-)

I'm sorry that my redhat is so rusty that I can't give you specific
advice, but hope this points you in the right direction.

-troy