[NBLUG/talk] Mounting a new HD

Todd Cary todd at aristesoftware.com
Sat Nov 29 10:32:00 PST 2003

Mark -

Many thanks!  With the encouragement of  Troy, I used fdisk to partition
hdd and then I used mount without the Type.  Throughout all of this, I
was wondering how/where one formats the disk.  Now I have the answer to
that.

One reality check.  I have Linux Complete and Red hat Linux 4.0 books
and both of them assume one is installing Red hat and using Disk Druid
(or fdisk to partition).  I do not see any mention of formatting a HD
(Floppy, yes).  Did I miss something here?

And in the GUI (GNOME) for Fedora I do not see anything about using a
GUI tool.  Hardware Browser shows the HD, but there are no other
options; Disk Management only shows the Floppy and CD.

Not being a Unix/Linux guru, my hope is for Linux desktop to become some
real competition for Windows.  As I have indicated in other postings, I
LOVE IT.  Get it running and you just about can forget about it.
However, there is still room for putting a "pretty wrapper" around it.

Again, thank you for the help...

Todd