[NBLUG/talk] pcmcia: CardServices release does not match!

ME dugan at passwall.com
Sun Nov 30 12:03:00 PST 2003

There are several parts to pcmcia_cs, and they should match:
1) The version of pcmcia_cs is compiled against a specific kernel. Do not
mix/match compiled pcmcia_cs with different kernels.
This means, you either go with packaged versions of your kernel and
pcmcia-cs in such a way that the packages were built to work with each
other or you find some other way to build thepcmcia-cs  from source and
have it "Read from the presently running kernel" that was a packaged
kernel or get a copy of the source-built kernel in the package or build
your own kernel from source.

2) If you have a packaged pcmcia-cs, and then you decide to download,
build and install a pcmcia-cs package from source, then the modules used
by the pcmcia-cs as installed into the kernel module dirs, then the system
may not start the cardmgr that you build but instead start the packaged
one and the packaged cardmgr may find the modules you built do not matc h
the version of cardmgr that is running (the daemon)

There are other items to consider, but the two above are common for
version problems.

There should be sub-versions to the kernel and pcmcia-cs if used as
packaged, and I would expect the sub-versions to match.