[NBLUG/talk] pcmcia: CardServices release does not match!

ME dugan at passwall.com
Sun Nov 30 14:21:02 PST 2003

Dave Sisley said:
> Thanks for the reply, ME.
>
> I think I understand you, so I will refine my question(s) a bit:
>
> I have a fresh install of SuSE 8.2, no updates. I went back and add
> the kernel-source and pcmcia source from the install cd's.  I would
> think therefore that kernel and card services should be in sync,
> right?
>
> Then I installed the Atmel wireless network card driver, which
> includes a few modules, depending on the model card you are using.  My
> card apparantly requires me to load the pcmf502rd module.  When I try
> to load it via insmod, I get an error that tells me to look in dmesg
> and the syslog.  It is there that I see the 'CardServices release does
> not match!' message.
>
> Is this because of some conflict between the kernel version and
> pcmcia_cs? or between the pcmf502rd module and pcmcia_cs?

This sounds like a problem with the module/driver(s) provided by the
vendor. (The ones installed after SuSE was running.)

Your kernel and pcmcia-cs are likely just fine with each other as they
were part of a package installed from your CD (as you said.)
> More to the point, how do I fix it?

See if the vendor has a module  for your system or maybe source code.
Maybe theybuilt their module in such a way that it wold work with a RedHat
system kernel, but nothing else. If this is the case, I would hope they
would include the source for their module to permit you to build a module
for system.

I would expect SuSE to install a SUPPORTED.CARDS file with the pcmcia-cs.
Check this file to see if your card was supported. (Sometimes, there is no
need to install the drivers/modules provided by a vendor with their
hardware.) If this is the case, it is possible that there were modules for
your card that came with SuSE's pcmcia-cs and the installation of the
vendors drivers overwrote the modules that came with pcmcia-cs. As far as
how to fix this, I am not sure how SuSE might encourage a user to do it,
but I would expect that you should be able to uninstall the pcmcia-cs
package and then re-install it -- though I would expect that SuSE would
have a procedure to have a packe just force-reinstall all files
overwritting existing files.

Another thing that is worth a try, but is very unlikely to fix anything is:
* stop yoru pcmcia-cs daemon/service
* as root tyep:  depmod -a
* restart your pcmcia-cs services

> How do I find out where the
> conflict is?

The conflict is almost certainly with the file that was added after the
SuSE install  from the new hardware vendor.

> I resisted the urge to just download the latest version
> of pcmcia_cs, but maybe that's what I need to do.

Building pcmcia-cs by hand is some work, and if you can make this work
without going that route, I think you will find  it much easier.

Another thing to try is to visit the website of the new hardware vendor to
see if they have a newer release of driver/module installer. (I would try
this after checking to see if pcmcia-cs supports your card without the
drivers from the vendor.)