[NBLUG/talk] Permissions question

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Thu Oct 16 13:49:00 PDT 2003

On Thu, Oct 16, 2003 at 01:04:51PM -0700, Todd Cary wrote:
} I am running Apache and my Web root is
}
} /home/httpd/
}
} I want to give a user ftp ability into a Web directory so I create a
} user, "brianpics" with his home directory, "/home/httpd/brianpics".
}
} The folder is owned by "brianpics" and the group is "adm" with privileges
}
} drwxrwxr--
}
} I cannot remember the parameter in Apache, however it makes it so a user
} cannot change directories above his.
}
} Here is the problem:  brianpics cannot get into ftp unless I make him a
} member of "adm".  That I do not want to do.
}
} Am I missing something simple here?

chgrp <groupname> brianpics

Change to a group he/you are part of,
maybe users (chgrp users brianpics).

What is the line in /etc/passwd for his login?
That will show what is default group is.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com