[NBLUG/talk] moving directories

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Mon Oct 20 23:00:04 PDT 2003

On Sun, 2003-10-19 at 00:06, E Frank Ball wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 11:49:48PM -0700, icdedpple wrote:
> } To save space on a hard drive, I moved the user's home directories to
> } /dev/hdb.  I put symbolic links in /home.  I would like to do this with more
> } directories since /dev/hda is about 95% fulled up.  Are there any directories
> } that I should absolutely not do this with (besides /)?
>

> Don't mess with /etc.   It must be in the / partition, and cannot be
> it's own partition.  Don't mess with /boot either.

I'm guessing that /bin and /sbin should also reside on the root
partition, since you couldn't get to 'init' or 'mount' to mount the
other filesystems or even change runlevels.  Correct?

> Instead of linking the /home directories why not copy the entire /home
> over to the new partition, then mount that partition as /home?  I
> usually build machines this way - it keeps my data on a separate
> partition from the system, so the system can be blown away without
> losing my data.
>
> I usually move /usr/local to /home/local and symbolicly link it back,
> you could do this with /var or /opt or whatever other partition you
> wanted to.

That's a good idea.  Never thought about that.

Just don't create a user named 'local'. :-)

--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com>
The LinuxWebGuy