[NBLUG/talk] my first kernel compile

Micxz an_email at micxz.com
Thu Oct 23 20:20:04 PDT 2003

> Google groups says there may be an error in the xconfig files.  Try
> 'make menuconfig'

Turns out I like menuconfig better than the xconfig.

> You shouldn't have to change anything from your xconfig setup aside from
> verifying that your reiserfs stuff is included properly.  All the kernel
> config interfaces read from .config.

I made to sure to compile in all the reiserfs stuff in as part of the
kernel and not modules.

> Oh, and if at any time you do a 'make mrproper', save .config first as
> it will be erased.

This was my problem, I wasn't taking the previous setting.

> Congratulations on taking the plunge!  It's not too bad is it?

Thanks' All worked out well LOOK:

micxz at mars:~> uname -a
Linux mars 2.4.20Micxz.01 #3 Thu Oct 23 20:03:51 PDT 2003 i686 unknown
unknown GNU/Linux

I added "Micxz.01" to the EXTRAVERSION var at the top of the Makefile
before the make. Looks like I should have used ".Micxz.01" oh' well next
time'

Thanks again'
Micxz

> -troy