[NBLUG/talk] "Capture Applications on screen in X"

Dave Sisley dsisley at arczip.com
Wed Sep 10 06:10:04 PDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 02:31:50AM -0700, Bill Kendrick wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:44:29PM -0700, ME wrote:
> > Someone asked at this last meeting how to get stuff scraped of the screen
> > as images with the GIMP.
>
> In Gimp's toolbox, under "File" there's an "Aquire" submenu.
> This includes a screenshot option.
> (Also, on my systems here at home, they include a scanner (XSANE dialog) option.)
>
> And as Ron mentioned, XV does a good job (although it's not "Free" software with
> a capital 'F')
>
> "xwd" is another typical one.  Beware, it spits its output to STDOUT, so you'll
> want to redirect it to a file, lest your terminal get barfed on! ;^)
>
>   $ xwd > mygrab.xwd
>

> > Such a feature is usually part of the OS.
>
> In Sawfish, one can probably create a screenshot keyboard shortcut by
> writing a small shell script to take a screenshot (and save it to a unique
> file, say, in your home directory or Gnome desktop).  See the "Run Shell Command"
> command in the "Edit Binding" window that comes up when you go to add a new
> keyboard shortcut.
>

> In KDE 3.0, under the control panel, in "Regional & Accessibility", there's
> also a "Keyboard Shortcuts" section.
>
> In fact, on my system (KDE 3 backported to Debian Woody), there's already a
> "Desktop Screenshot" command which is bound to "Ctrl + PrintScreen"
> (in the "Global Shortcuts" tab, under the "Miscellaneous" grouping)
>
> :^)
>
> Enjoy!
>

> -bill!

I'm running rh8 and to get a screenshot, I simply press the print screen button. I
know how univeral this is to other distros (sounds like it isn't, looking at the
other emails).  It looks like the default (and only) format is .png, but you could
save it that way and then open it in gimp and convert it to something else.

...& great presentation, by the way.  My main problem with gimp isn't even finding
out how to do stuff, but knowing what it's capable of in the 1st place.  I've never used
photoShop, so I don't know from layers, alpha-this, channel whatever, etc.  You showed
us a lot of cool stuff I didn't know about (quick mask, for instance).  Thanks!

-dave.