[NBLUG/talk] XFree86 4.3

Rob Orsini orsini at sonic.net
Thu Sep 11 15:42:01 PDT 2003

At 03:28 PM 9/11/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 03:21:37PM -0700, Rob Orsini wrote:

> > >So, I'm connected remotely to my P at the moment and have run the above
> > >commands.  I might need to restart the box to get the 4.3 stuff to take
> > >(??) but I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get back in till I get home
> > >because my default net settings are hosed.  All that being said, I ran
> > >`startx` and below is the tail end of the output. I'm don't know much
> > >about what's going on except it looks promising that radeon_drv.o is
> > >http://www.orsinidesigns.com/p2120_xfree86config-4
> > >
> > >Rob
> >

> > Wait a minute!  The lid on on the laptop is closed.  Does that mean that I
> > wouldn't have a chance a starting X from here?  lol
> >
> > Rob
> >

>Honestly, it would be better to diagnose X problems when are you actually
>physically at the machine.
>
>By the way, you don't need to restart a machine to try a new X server you
>have upgraded.  In Linux about the only time you would normally have to
>reboot would be if you upgraded kernels and wanted to try the new one,
>otherwise you can restart basically everything else without resorting to
>rebooting.

Fair enough Kyle.  I guess I can wait till I get home. :)   Just one more
question till then... Should the version information have changed (see below)?

p2120:/home/admin# XFree86 -version

This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way.  Bugs may be reported to XFree86 at XFree86.Org and patches submitted
to fixes at XFree86.Org.  Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs)

XFree86 Version 4.1.0.1 / X Window System
Release Date: 21 December 2001
         If the server is older than 6-12 months, or if your card is
         newer than the above date, look for a newer version before
         reporting problems.  (See http://www.XFree86.Org/FAQ)
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.17 i686 [ELF]
Module Loader present