[NBLUG/talk] laptop sync

Jeremy Turner jeremy at linuxwebguy.com
Fri Sep 12 10:00:04 PDT 2003

On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 09:37, augie wrote:

> hello all,
>
> i'm looking for a way to keep my laptop and my desktop machines up to
> date with one another with respect to user /home dirs. i use my laptop
> when i am at school, and my desktop at home, and i need a way to keep
> them in sync. so far all i've come up with is rsync, anyone else use
> something different? what do you use to keep your various machines
> sync'ed up?

Hey augie,

Two ideas for you and the list:

1) I've heard of a program called unison.  I think it basically does the
rsync thing for you.  A lot of people use it with the Sharp Zauruses.

2) CVS?  No really.  Depending on the size (especially music or digital
pictures or isos) you could keep your home dir in CVS.  I remember an
article in the Linux Journal a few issues back about how to do this.

Food for thought.

Jeremy
--
Jeremy Turner <jeremy at linuxwebguy.com>