[NBLUG/talk] Root and SSH questions..

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Wed Sep 17 16:15:10 PDT 2003

On Wed, Sep 17, 2003 at 03:44:55PM -0700, Steve Johnson wrote:
} I run a colocated server at sonic.net, and in the past I use to tar up
} everything and then just scp it over to my box at home as a backup, this
} worked fine.  But now I want to use rsync and just mirror everything on
} my spare hard drive at home..  But it seems to do this effectivly I need
} to login into my colo as root via rsync and ssh.
}
} I always leave root login not allowed on my sshd_config.. So I'm
} wondering how bad would it be to allow root into ssh?  Am I asking for
} problems with this?

I'd go ahead and allow root login via ssh, but turn off passwords:

# To disable tunneled clear text passwords, change to no here!
PasswordAuthentication no

And only allow ssh key pairs for logging in.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com