[NBLUG/talk] What's with /sbin ?

error error at sonic.net
Wed Sep 24 12:18:01 PDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 18:10, Dave Sisley wrote:
> I have a 2 part question, the first of which is embarrassingly newbish:
>
> 1)
> How do I get /sbin added to my default path, so that I don't have to
> use absolute pathnames for such useful commands as 'ifup' and 'ifconfig'?

You need to edit your .bash_profile or .bashrc files and add something
like this:

PATH="${PATH}":/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

> I've tried variations of 'export PATH=$PATH:/sbin' and even had the change
> show up when I run 'echo $PATH', but the change is gone when I log back in.

See above.

> 2)
> Is there something special about /sbin (in Redhat, anyway) that would
> necessatate "hiding" these commands?  If they are in there, why isn't
> /sbin included in the default PATH?

It should be in roots path because root needs it. You shouldn't in
RedHat opinion.

But then again redhat doesn't give you a prompt like this either:
export PS1="_[\[\033[0;37m\]\u@\h:\w\[\033[0m\]]
[\[\033[0;37m\]\d\[\033[0m\]] [
\[\033[0;37m\]\@\[\033[0m\]]_
$\[\033[0m\] "