[NBLUG/talk] Multiple GDM instances?

Eric Eisenhart eric at nblug.org
Thu Sep 25 12:25:01 PDT 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 12:10:09PM -0700, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> I seem to recall that an older version of GDM (that came with Ximian GNOME
> 1.4) had the ability to simultaneously run more than one GDM process at a
> time (one on tty7, one on tty8, etc.).  Is there a way to do that using the
> version of GDM that ships with RedHat 9?

You can run "gdmflexiserver" to immediately start up a new server on the
next TTY.  Or "gdmXnest" to start up a new server inside a window.

To always have a second GDM running on a second TTY, edit
"/etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf", look for the "[servers]" section and add (or
uncomment) a line like "1=Standard".
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & Director-At-Large