[NBLUG/talk] Installfest Thanks

ME dugan at passwall.com
Sun Sep 28 11:05:02 PDT 2003

Debian seems to work much better when you:
* Do not run out of space on disk where installed packages are recorded.
* Do not mix testing and stable (yes things can "work" with this, but
there are risks.)

When I tested your cards on my Debian system one of them worked just fine.
(I build my kernels and pcmcia-cs by hand so I can upgrade either or both
as each comes out and not have to wait for new packages to support my new
cards.)

A re-install to eliminate questions with running out of space in the
location for where instaled packages are included, and sticking with the
stable branch for your kernel and most of your other stuff were probably
key to getting your card to work. (It is really difficult to "fix" a
system where an unknown amount of system data may have been lost. Choosing
to reinstall was a good decision.)

As you become more advanced, you can try more advanced things (like mixing
packages from testing, and advanced) but as a new user to Debian, sticking
with stable is better.

-ME