[NBLUG/talk] Tunneling X over ssh

orsini orsini at sonic.net
Sat Apr 10 16:29:53 PDT 2004

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 12:14:50PM -0700, E Frank Ball wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 09:54:37AM -0700, orsini wrote:
> } I'm trying to tunnel X between home and work. My situation
> } has me hopping on a couple of machines inbetween. All linux
> } boxes with a solaris box as one of the hops.
> }
> } On each box type:
> }
> } > ssh -X me at hop1
> } ...
> } > ssh -X me at hop2
> } ...
> } > ssh -X me at finalmachine
> }
> } Then, when I run 'xeyes' on the destination box, I get this:
> }
> } connect 127.0.0.1 port 6000: Connection refused
> } X connection to localhost:10.0 broken (explicit kill or server
> } shutdown).
> } Exit 1
> }
> } On all machines /etc/ssh/sshd_config contains:
> } X11Forwarding yes
> }
> } I'm stumped. Any ideas?
>

> On each box also make sure the X11 forwarding is set in
> /etc/ssh/ssh_config (ssh not sshd).
>
> Why are you hopping anyway?  If you can't make a direct connection one
> way, but can from the other way, then you can setup an ssh tunnel from
> one direction and connect to it from the other.

Good to know about ssd_config, I'll try that. As for skipping all the
hopping with a tunnel, I'm not sure If I can because of our dynamicly
generated passwords (RSA SecureID), but I'll look into it.

I'll try the X thang again after getting privileged people to update that file for
me. :-(

Thanks.
Rob