[NBLUG/talk] Tunneling X over ssh

sms at sonic.net sms at sonic.net
Sat Apr 10 18:30:41 PDT 2004

> } Do you have "Xhost" & "$DISPLAY" set on the hosts?  I've never done
>
> with X11 forwarding turned on do NOT set the $DISPLAY variable.
> xhost doesn't matter.

<blink>

Does ssh put in a layer to intercept X calls?

How does X know where to display (i.e. if both boxen are
running "X," which one displays the invocation of "xeyes"
(or whatever))?  Surely an ssh tunnel doesn't take over
ALL X & redirect it to the remote server?

> X only needs to be running on your display.  The host running the
> process doesn't have to have X running.

True enough; any X11-displaying program merely needs *some* X server
to display onto.  It doesn't care if that's local or via the net.

- Steve S.