[NBLUG/talk] Canon ImageRunner 5000 with CUPS under Gnu/Linux debian / Redhat

Jake Appelbaum jacob at appelbaum.net
Wed Apr 14 12:36:22 PDT 2004

For those of you searching and without finding much, there is a solution
for printing under linux with the Canon ImageRunner 5000.

The printer I was working attempting to work with was offered as a
solution in an office from Ikon. (
http://www.ikon.com/products/Copiers/mono/Canon_iR5000.asp )

If you're looking for support, you're not going to find any help on the
canon webpage, or the IKON website. The CUPS webpage isn't entirely
helpful either but it gives you more to go on than any other. What you
will find on the CUPS site is that the Canon ImageRunner 330s "mostly
works."

Information can be found here:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-imageRunner_330s

This sounded more promising than not working at all so I decided to give
it a shot.

What I found works is that using the information on that page, and
selecting the correct HP laserjet driver, your Canon printer will work
with IPP.

This hasn't been reported anywhere until now (that I could find), I hope
this helps someone as I was unable to find very much.

Another source for information leading me to believe that this would
work under CUPS was that it worked as a "generic printer" under OS X
with only entering in the network address of the printer.

Also IBM lists it without much information:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.nsf/c5100f8165ec3eb386256c230059fbac/e9bd60440bf30f3c862569c100795cad?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,imagerunner

This information was also posted to the CUPS canon message board here:
http://www.linuxprinting.org/forums.cgi?group=linuxprinting.canon.general;article=1654
http://www.linuxprinting.org/forums.cgi?group=linuxprinting.canon.general;article=1655

This is the information (for mirroring sake) that I provided in that
(above mentioned) post:

Manufacturer's name: Canon

Model name: ImageRunner 5000

Mechanism type: Laser

Color or black-and-white: black and white

Maximum resolution claimed by the manufacturer and obtained by you with
free software: 600x600 and 600x600.

Connection types: Ethernet

Maximum paper size: 11" x 17"

Special functionality: stapler, scanner, copier

Type of consumables/refills: Toner

How did you get it to work?
I was able to get it working by installing the correct debian packages
(foomatic, and cups).
I configured CUPS to use it as an IPP device like so:
ipp://HOSTNAME:631/ipp/

Which driver(s) did you use and with which option settings?
I used the HP LaserJet 8100 Foomatic/hpijs driver.

Which driver do you recommend?
After trying a few, I found the HP LaserJet 8100 Foomatic/hpijs driver
works well.

Did you apply special tricks (as hacking the driver's code, using an
aditional filter, ...) to get the printer to work?
No.

Also reporting that a printer does not work at all is important for us,
users should be warned before they buy a "Paperweight".

This is not a paperweight, it's just a bit counter intuitive to use a
driver for an HP LaserJet with a Canon ImageRunner. It fails the test
for users that don't have a club about printing. It als fails the test
for users that have a club but are easily confused. More information can
be found about this printer on the IKON page:
http://www.ikon.com/products/Copiers/mono/Canon_iR5000.asp

What is your impression of the results? Categorize your printer in one
of the levels described on the database introduction page.

It fits into the "mostly" catagory.
I was unable to find the correct method for network scanning with SANE
and I don't think that it will work at this time.

This printer works under OS X as a generic printer using IPP.

If you plan on using Redhat or any other distro with this (and you don't
wantto use CUPS), add a printer with your distros tool with these
settings:
Select the Queue Type as 'Networked JetDirect'.
Enter the IP Address of the printer and enter 9100 as the port.
For the Printer Model select 'Generic PostScript Printer'.

Also be sure that when you configure this for a local machine not
serving printing to the rest of the network, change the Listen and
broadcast sections in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf

Listen only on localhost:

Listen localhost:631

Don't broadcast:

Browsing Off

Those two options (search the config for the default commented out and
drop those two lines in there) will make it so that CUPS only listens on
the localhost.

To admin this via the web simple point your browser at
http://localhost:631

--
Jake Appelbaum <jacob at appelbaum.net>