[NBLUG/talk] Knoppix install?

Cal Herrmann calz at eskimo.com
Sat Apr 17 12:32:29 PDT 2004

I am quite impressed with Knoppix's recognitions of about everything, thanks
Kyle!
I am trying to install it into my new hard-disk in my fuji p2120.  I had put
Mandrake 9.1 onto it to try out, but I want to replace it with Knoppix (3.4)
The installation  (knoppix-inst.sh) starts up OK, but the "install" step says
it can't format the drive (either partition).  I tried to repartition; that
option claims that the drive (parts put in by Mandrake are hda1 and 6) is a
read-only device.
So I tried to chmod the parts to add write permission, which it won't.
Ideas, please? should I maybe reformat or repartition using the Mandrake disk?
Or, help, should I get Mandrake 10 now released which claims to recognize
more?  The fujitsu has some strange stuff that 9.1 doesn't get right (sound,
sleep..).
Thanks for any pointers, there isn't much on the net for this combination.
Cal Herrmann