DNS/DHCP (was Re: [NBLUG/talk] Changed Network)

sms at sonic.net sms at sonic.net
Fri Apr 30 09:48:31 PDT 2004

> I hadn't known for some reason until recently that DHCP could pass on
> nameserver information (don't know where I missed that little tidbit).

Errr... yeah.  DHCP is one of those protocols that often has suprising
little sidelines.  From Cisco's CCNA curriculum:
   "DHCP servers can also offer other information, such as DNS
    server addresses, WINS server addresses, and domain names."
Note (from that little phrase, "such as"):  this isn't necessarily a
complete list of protocols/data served...

- Steve S.