[NBLUG/talk] USB automount issues

Bob Blick bblick at sonic.net
Mon Aug 2 10:56:35 PDT 2004

I've had really bad luck with USB hard drive enclosures and need advice.

The first one, a USB 1.1 with Scanlogic chip, looks like it will never
really work with linux, if you do get it to work, it corrupts data, and is
obsolete so it's a dead project.

The second one is USB 2.0 with an ALI chip, and it sort of works. It takes
5 minutes at load 3.0 before the computer will allow a mount, and 20 more
processes get added to the list.

But I don't think it's the fault of the USB chip, because I have the same
problem plugging in a USB memory stick (except at the end instead of
success, it fails because it's not a linux filesystem and I have to mount
it manually).

So I'd either like to figure out how to make the computer behave. I
suppose I should become an expert at subfs, submountd, hwscan, hotplug,
etc, but I thought those things were supposed to take care of themselves -
with previous linux versions I got quite used to mounting things manually.

BTW, this is SuSE 9.1 with kernel 2.6.5

Can someone point me to info that is current? All I can find is stuff that
is obsolete.

Thanks,

Bob