[NBLUG/talk] dd for different size partitions?

sms at sonic.net sms at sonic.net
Tue Aug 10 15:59:12 PDT 2004

> Otherwise find piped to cpio is your best bet. I use this method all the
> time to migrate to newer or other hard drives, and ended up explaining it
> so often I just wrote it down in my tips section:

Hm.  Is there some reason you prefer   find | cpio   over   dump   (and
the mated   restore  )?  Basically, this is a "backup/restore" situation,
and I'm inclined to use the native tools for the job, rather than cobble
up a solution from other tools.  TIMTOWTDI & all that, but...

- Steve
  ( Who suspects he's missing something... maybe he didn't read the
    original request completely enough? )