[NBLUG/talk] Floppy disk is inactive.

Andrew argonaut at softhome.net
Thu Aug 19 11:54:44 PDT 2004

Ian Sutherland wrote on Thu, 19 Aug 2004 06:45:06 -0700:

> Thanks, Andrew and Lincoln, that worked. You described what I
> did, pretty closely, to create the problem.

Ah. In that case, a crash course in "dd" and floppy images might
be useful. If you have a 1440k floppy image sitting on your hard
disk and you want to write it to a floppy disk, pop a blank
floppy (or one whose contents you don't care about) into the
floppy drive and type this at a command prompt:

dd if=/path/to/floppy-image of=/dev/fd0

You may need to be root to do this, but try as a mere mortal
first. If all goes well, dd will spit out the message
"2880+0 records in, 2880+0 records out".

Conversely, if you have an important floppy disk and you want to
make a bit-for-bit copy of it to your hard disk, use this
command:

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/path/to/floppy-image

Again, try as a mere mortal first; switch to root only if you
have to. dd should respond with the same message. You can then
write the resulting image to another floppy, archive it on
CD-R(W), email it to friends or enemies, edit it with a hex
editor, mount it as a loopback device, or do anything else
you damn well please with it.

By the way, in the dd commands above, "if" means "input file" and
"of" means "output file".

Hope this helps you or someone else.

A.