[NBLUG/talk] Recovering data from a failing hard disk

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 23 23:09:46 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 20:59, Daniel Smith wrote:
> >I need to transfer a huge volume of data from a failing 160GB hard disk
>

> If the key words are "failing" and "important data", you
> may consider DriveSavers, based in Novato.  I once waited
> too long (scraping sounds), and they couldn't do anything
> with shavings from a crashed head.  Good luck,

Honestly, the data isn't that important, but the hard drive is covered
under warranty and I received a new one from Maxtor in the mail today.
I can probably rebuild everything one that hard disk, but at 96GB used,
that would be a pain.

It looks like I caught it in time; most of the data is salvageable with
little difficulty.  I should be able to handle the remaining files on an
individual basis (I piped the output of cpio, both stdout and stderr, to
a file, so that I can grep it for error messages and find out which
files were affected).

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Sho' they got to have it against the law.  Shoot, ever'body git high,
they wouldn't be nobody git up and feed the chickens.  Hee-hee.
		-- Terry Southern