[NBLUG/talk] Recovering data from a failing hard disk

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 23 23:10:21 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 22:45, Kyle Rankin wrote:
> I'm going to go out on a limb and say that for what you are needing to do
> (image a failing drive to an identical drive) that dd /is/ what you want to
> use--or at least a dd-like program. You want to do block-for-block copies
> and not worry about the filesystem underneath, but with something like
> dd_rescue that can ignore any errors your hard drive might be spitting out.

Unfortunately, I've already started copying the data off the old hard
disk with cpio.  And I've copied 92/96GB at this point.

I don't think that dd_rescue would work in this case anyway because the
failing hard disk has a capacity of 160GB, and the new hard disk that
Maxtor sent me (as per the warranty) is 250GB.  I guess that, for
whatever reason, it was easier for them to send me a significantly
larger hard disk than one of the same size as the one that failed.  Not
that I'm complaining!

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

"You can't have filenames longer than 14 chars.
You can't even think about them!"
             -- Larry Wall in Configure from the perl distribution