[NBLUG/talk] Recovering data from a failing hard disk

Lincoln Peters sampln at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 24 15:14:32 PDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-08-23 at 23:42, Lincoln Peters wrote:
> Now it has gotten a bit silly:
>
> # df -h
> [snip]
> /dev/hdi1             128G   96G   33G  75% /old
> /dev/hdg1             234G  126G  109G  54% /new
>
> It would seem that the 96GB's of data that I tried to recover from /old
> are taking up 126GB's on /new!  And "cpio" is *still* running!

Final count on /new was 170GB.  Oddly enough, I found that all but 11 of
the files appeared to be intact (no read errors), and all but one of the
remaining files passed an MD5SUM check against the old data.  The 12
damaged files, fortunately, will be very easy to rebuild.

I still wonder why the same 94GB of data on /old (minus the 12 damaged
files), although unmodified, occupy 170GB on the /new.  Although 65GB
are still available on /new, so I'm under no pressure to figure this out
any time soon.

---
Lincoln Peters
<sampln at sbcglobal.net>

Any programming language is at its best before it is implemented and used.